Agriculture Production in Coshocton County
Coshocton County has over 171,000 acres dedicated to farming. Coshocton is a strong agricultural community producing annual cash receipts of some 56 million dollars in grain production, livestock, poultry, dairy, hay, ornamental and vegetable crops. Over 1,000 full and part time farmers contribute to the local agriculture economy with an average of some $55,000 per farm in gross sales. Local farm producers are eager to adopt new technology and innovative production techniques to increase efficiency protect the local environment.
Agriculture is a mainstay to the social fabric of the community and makes a significant contribution to the economic growth and prosperity of Coshocton County. Preservation of prime farmland is a primary goal that has been studied and depicted in both the county’s Comprehensive Land Use Plan and Economic Development Task Force Report.
Coshocton County has the physical ability to produce a variety of goods and services including:
- Wheat and other small grains
- Forages - variety of grasses, hay crops and grazing lands
- Dairy Products
- Sheep and goats
- Produce including vegetables/fruit
- Landscaping/greenhouse industry
- Access to transportation for our crops(railways and solid roads)
- Favorable soil types and topography for different purposes
- Surface water and plentiful aquifers
- Limestone and gravel